6 Ways to Make Hiking Fun for Students
Hiking is a fantastic hobby for people of all ages and levels of athleticism. It is active, adventurous, and nature-centered. If you want to share your passion for hiking with less outdoorsy friends or want to get into it yourself, this guide is exactly what you need.
What Makes Hiking Great for Students?
If you already love hiking, your motivation might be sharing the fun with friends. They may love it as much as you do as a result. Yes, it isn’t very easy to convince a non-outdoorsy person to get outside. Yet it is possible with the right mindset and a couple of tricks up your sleeve.
You might also want to take on this hobby and worry that it would feel like a chore. In such a case, you need to reshape your perspective on hiking. It is an incredible activity that has so much to offer. Of course, finding time for hobbies is challenging for college students. They are often overburdened with duties and assignments. Who will write my paper while I am on the hike? – One might wonder. Well, the answer is professional academic writing platforms.
They offer help with any part of college coursework, including all kinds of papers. There, you can hire experienced authors who will edit and proofread your work. Alternatively, they can do it entirely from scratch, so you do not have to worry about anything. It is a perfect opportunity to have more time and a better life-study balance. Collaboration with experts is a learning opportunity as well, as you can gain valuable insights.
There is always help out there. So, there is literally no reason to postpone the hiking adventure. After all, it is a hugely beneficial hobby for college students because:
- It covers the need for regular physical activity. And you get to choose the trail for your level of fitness;
- It is open to beginners and accessible to almost anyone. It can be a smooth walk and a thrilling adventure. The more you do it, the more strenuous trails you can choose;
- It is free. Surely, you’ll need some equipment. Yet short and easy trails do not require something out of the ordinary. But you might already have everything you need at home;
- It is relaxing because you get to connect with nature. Nothing reduces stress better than being outside, watching animals and plants, and enjoying sunbeams. College students deal with a lot of stress, and having such a relaxing hobby is necessary to avoid burning out.
Hiking doesn’t have to be very long and difficult for beginners. There are trails for 2-4 hours, which is very manageable. And there are several ways to make this time exciting.
How to Make Hiking Fun
For someone who does it regularly, it sounds fun as it is. But if you are a beginner or deal with beginners, you might adopt a couple of ideas to make everyone more excited.
If you live in an area where trails have lakes or rivers, fishing could be an amazing option to spruce the adventure up. First of all, fishing is entertaining on its own. You can take portable rods and make it a competition. Who will catch more fish?
Also, if allowed, you can cook your catch on open fire. What can be more adventurous than catching your own dinner? It is a bonding experience as well. Alternatively, you can take the catch home and cook it there. In any case, you can feel like a real hunter who brings food to the table… literally.
Fishing is also easy to start with for beginners. But make sure to check beforehand if there are bodies of water suitable for that. If fishing is not your thing, you can watch fish in the water and try to guess what it is.
If you are not planning a smartphone detox, you can enjoy geocaching with your friends or family. It is a lot like a scavenger hunt but for adults. The idea is to get coordinates and find a hidden treasure. So you are not on a walk but on a mission now!
It is exciting and engaging. To start, you can download the app for Geocaching and find coordinates with treasures. Check out if there are any hidden spots around the area you are heading to. If several are in proximity, it can also become a competition. You can split two teams and go for a victory. Or you can all work together to find all the treasures.
The items are often disguised as something regular, like a flashlight or a birdhouse – something you wouldn’t suspect immediately. The treasures are fun as well. Sometimes, you can find a toy, a snack, or some piece of gear.
Plants, Berries, and Animals
Also, you do not have to look for something particular to enjoy your surroundings. Those who want to reconnect with nature can consider such options as:
- Looking for specific plants or recognizing the ones you come across. It can be a game of bingo if you want. Or you can pay attention to the environment and find the most exciting plants.
- Foraging for berries. You can also snack from a bush, especially during the fall. Looking for berries is exciting. But be sure to check beforehand what berries grow in the area and which are edible.
- Collecting mushrooms. You do not need to be a hunter or a fisher to find dinner in the woods. If the area is known for mushrooms, you can pick them up together. Also, learn which ones are safe to eat and collect. And research whether it is allowed to pick mushrooms in the area. But imagine cooking them on an open fire with meat the same day!
- Watching birds and animals. It depends on the fauna living in the area. But you can also try to spot various animals and birds. You can take pictures or simply gaze at them. Who spots more wins the race.
Those who are into crafts can gather leaves, acorns, or flowers for your next creations.
While it is still warm, you can go for a swim. If the trail goes to a safe lake or river, this is a fantastic opportunity! Make sure to take swimsuits and a change of clothes with you. Now, you can swim after a walk and feel refreshed.
And it might be better than a day at the beach. It is less crowded, and the experience is new. Take some snacks and enough water to rest near the body of water.
Most of us love taking pictures. Some enjoy portraying nature; others love to photograph people. In any case, there will be plenty of outstanding opportunities on the hike.
Take a camera or use your phone and encourage photography. For instance, you can capture plants you’ve seen. Or you can create an album about your first trip together. First of all, it creates beautiful memories you can go through later. Secondly, it makes the adventure more creative and artistic.
Talk about reviewing the pictures together later. You can even host a presentation night and show how the trip went to others or share photos with each other. It is a simple yet enjoyable addition to hiking.
If you really want to make someone love an adventure, add excellent food to it. You can take something premade from home. For instance, if you are into baking, you can prepare baked goods for friends.
Another option is to go for outdoor dining options on the trail. Many popular routes have rest stops with fantastic cafes and restaurants along the way. In this case, you do not have to bring anything and carry additional weight.
Research the options and add a food stop to the trip. You can relax for an hour and regain some energy for the next step. Sharing a meal together is also an ancient bonding experience, so there are no downsides.
The third option is to cook your own meal on an open fire. Those could be steaks or kebabs with marshmallows for dessert. Food cooked on a fire tastes better. And you all can work on the dinner together. But it requires bringing some equipment and ingredients with you. It could be a bit too much for a beginner.
Open fire cooking is an outstanding option for camping as you can all gather around the fire and have a great time. You can laugh, chat, or give advice about the best research paper writing services to try. In any case, it is going to be an adventure to remember.
Hiking is a fantastic hobby for college students. It is accessible, easy to start with, and free. Whether you want to bring friends along or try it yourself, you can use these six ideas to make the hike more entertaining. Remember to stay safe and always check the rules. Start easy and small if it is your first time – you can go for a more extended trip in the future.