Can You Buy A Walmart Fishing License? Employee Secrets To Getting A BIG Discount
Going fishing is one of the great pleasures in life, there’s something about being outdoors and having that close connection to nature that can improve your mood and force you to take time away from an otherwise busy life.
However, it’s important to go fishing legally, so before you tie on your fishing hook, be sure you have the appropriate fishing licenses required.
You may also like:
- How Old Do You Need To Be To Get A Fishing License?
- What Happens If You Get Caught Without A Fishing License?
- Can you Buy A Fishing License For Someone Else?
Walmart is one of the biggest retailers across the US, so it’s convenient for much of the population, it’s the ideal place to get a Walmart fishing license from.
Can you buy a fishing license from Walmart? Yes, you can buy a perfectly legal fishing license from any US-based Walmart by speaking to the staff in the Sports & Outdoors section. Expect to pay between $11 and $40, depending on the state, your age, and how long the license will be valid for.
To make the process as seamless as possible, it’s good to have some information ahead of time:
- What kind of water will you be fishing in? Freshwater or saltwater? A river, lake, pond or ocean?
- How long will you need your license? Yearly, Monthly or Daily licenses are available.
- How many people are going fishing and how old are they? Prices vary depending on age, for example, kids are cheaper.
If you’d like to get a holder for your new fishing license, you can get one here.
The terms and conditions and other formalities that are required to be completed will be explained in detail. The reasons to buy a license, the process and the advantages of the fishing license would guide the reader better to take the decision.
Fishing is often a sport that needs prior permission from the state to fish.
Wal-Mart works as an authorized organization that has the right to issue fishing licenses on behalf of the government.
Walmart follows the same steps as the department asks it to do. Therefore, understanding that Walmart can issue you a fishing license is absolutely correct. And if you are someone who enjoys fishing a lot or does so for the sake of living, then it becomes of paramount importance to get a fishing license before setting your hands on a fishing rod.
Walmart Fishing License Why and How?
As we’ve already established, you can buy a fishing license from Walmart from any of the stores across the US. But why should you?
Being the world’s largest retail chain, purchasing a fishing license from Walmart can be an easy hassle-free process.
Also, it is of utmost importance to have a fishing license to go fishing in the state. A person found fishing without a fishing license is liable to be punished under the law of the state. In order to stay away from the purview of the penal provisions of the fisheries act, it is necessary for every fisherman to do fishing only after having a valid fishing license in the state.
Another beneficial aspect is that Walmart has a special team that entertains newcomers and briefs them about the whole mechanism free. They are a friendly team of advisers that would guide a person according to one’s needs and recommend the best course of action.
Not only this, the team briefs about the possible outcomes of the license, its renewal, and the customized experience that a person is seeking to get. It is not just available for professional fishermen, but also for laymen and enthusiasts who want to fish in the fresh waters of the state to start with.
How to buy a Walmart fishing license?
Obtaining a fishing license is a matter that would come under the department of fishing of a state. Therefore, it can vary from one state to another. Various retailers can have an agreement with the state fisheries authorities through which they can issue licenses to the clients but that also is again subjected to the rules and regulations of the state fishery department.
Walmart has agreements with the states and hence is an eligible institution to issue licenses on behalf of the government.
The provision of a license is subject to the condition that the person wanting the license to be issued produces some sort of identification and address proof before the authorities.
The Walmart staff can assist the person with the process, but only when the identification has been established. The license would cost the same as it would cost the person anywhere else in the state and the person would be asked to fill out certain forms complying with the conditions, and payment of the fee would then be made.
It is only after that that the license would be issued to the person after a stipulated period of time.
Things To Keep In Mind:
- It is compulsory for each and every member that is going to go fishing to have a license. No member not having a fishing license is allowed to fish in the country.
- There are several options available where fishing can be done. The fishing license fee varies according to the place the person goes for fishing. It can be rivers, dams, oceans or anywhere else. The places that are not defined are considered to be the most expensive ones for the grant of the fishing license.
- There are no tests that are undertaken by Wal-Mart when it issues a fishing license but a booklet containing the various do’s and don’ts to be followed while fishing should be read in detail. It is necessary to ensure that the area where the person goes shipping is allowed for fishing.
- It is necessary to ensure that no pollution is done due to littering and urinating in the pond, lake or river or wherever the person is fishing as this can disturb the marine life and could have repercussions on the habitat living there.
- It is necessary to ensure safety norms while going over for fishing. In areas like oceans, the level of danger is quite high and taking along your family would mean greater responsibility. Staying attentive and alert is the only safe move a person can make.
- Fishing in dangerous circumstances is strictly prohibited. Look for the weather forecast before setting out for fishing as this could put your life in danger.
- Getting a license to fish does not mean that the person gets the right over marine life. Fishing in prohibited areas or of endangered species could attract penal provisions that are equally supported by Walmart and this could lead to a lifetime cancellation of the fishing license.
- Fishing could also cause injuries. While it could be an altogether enriching experience for you and your son, daughter, spouse, friend or relative, it is equally important to carry a first aid box and know the initial steps to follow in case of any serious mishap like falling in the lake and having to get the person out when one does not swim, giving life support etc.
A number of points should be kept in mind for fishing and getting a fishing license, but what is even more important is to understand that all these steps and guidelines are made for the benefit of the person himself/herself. Therefore, it becomes important to respect the spirit of the law and the love for fishing to ensure happy and safe fishing without casualties.
You might want to have a look at what can happen if you get caught without a fishing license.
Can You Expect Any Issues
The procedure to buy a Walmart fishing license usually requires the person to choose between the following categories:
- A 24 hours fishing permit
- A 5-day fishing permit
- An annual fishing permit
- In some states, it is provided in the law that some people who suffer from some of the other types of disability can fish in the country’s waters and children falling under the age of 16 can also fish provided they are accompanied by a parent or a guardian. The safety of the fisher is also of prime importance.
How Much Does a Fishing License At Walmart Cost?
Before getting directly at the license cost, let’s discuss some factors affecting the price range. The license price primarily depends on your age, license duration, and residential status.
If you travel to another state, Walmart will charge you more for being an outsider than a state resident. Similarly, an annual license may be a one-time investment for you, but it costs you less in the longer run.
The following are the general price indicators:
- The regular license cost at Walmart for residents of age between 16 and 65 – is $19
- A flat license cost for single-day fishing irrespective of the resident or non-resident status of the applicant – is $11
- Discounted license cost for senior citizens above 66 years of age – $10
- Walmart annual fishing license fee – $40
- Cost for a 3-day fishing permit for tourists – $19
- A duplicate fishing license in case of loss, theft, or damage – $4
- Walmart charges a very nominal fee to senior state residents above 66 years – $10
Walmart stores only sell fishing licenses for the state where they are located. It doesn’t mean you can buy a fishing license for Virginia from a Walmart store in California.
Disabled people can make a special request for a free fishing license in the majority of states. The same rule applies to active military people to enjoy free fishing in listed states. However, they get a special discount on license costs in the rest of the US states.
27 out of 52 states offer discounted fishing licenses to senior citizens and veterans.
Here is a comprehensive list of Walmart fishing license costs and prerequisites in multiple states.
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Florida
You can easily apply for a long-term fishing license at a very nominal fee if you are a Florida citizen. However, tourism can only purchase a license for three to seven days at maximum.
- Annual cost for residents – $17
- Annual fee for non-residents – $47
- 5-year fee for residents – $79
- 7-day fee for tourists – $30
- 3-day fee for tourists – $17
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Texas
In addition to the duration and residential status, Texas has further segregated the fishing license category based on the water type. The annual fee is valid till Aug 31, unlike the rest of the yearly licenses expiring on Dec 31 for the rest of the states.
- Freshwater License: $30 for residents, $12 for seniors, and $58 for tourists
- Saltwater License: $35 for locals, $17 for seniors, and $63 for non-residents
- All-water License: $40 for residents, $22 for seniors, and $68 for tourists
- Single-day All-water: $11 for locals and $16 for tourists
- Annual All-water: Available only for residents – $47
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in California
California gives a lot of flexibility to both the residents and non-residents in terms of time duration. Unlike Texas, Walmart fishing licenses apply to both types of water here.
- 1-day license for both locals and tourists – $16.20
- 2-day license for both residents and non-residents – $25.10
- 10-day license only for non-residents – $49.94
- Yearly license – $49.94 for residents and $134.74 for tourists
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Tennessee
The state of Tennessee has a simple fishing license model of annual and 1-day only.
Both the residents and non-residents can fish on “Fishing day” without applying for a fishing license.
You can avail of a discount on the fishing license fee on Feb 18 if you are a resident and have a valid driving license.
- Yearly cost for residents – $34
- Annual county for locals- $11
- 1-day license for residents – $6.50
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Virginia
Just like Texas, Virginia has also subdivided the license cost according to the water type. Not only that, but you also need to apply for a separate license to fish different species, such as sunfish, trout, redfish, cobia, and fish flounder.
- All-water license for locals – $39.50
- Saltwater license for residents – $17.50
- 5-day license for residents – $5
- Freshwater license for tourists – $30
- 5-day freshwater license for non-residents – $6
- Trout fishing license for tourists – $30
- Saltwater license for tourists – $7
- 10-day saltwater license for tourists – $4.50
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Colorado
The state of Colorado doesn’t impose any restrictions on water or fish type. However, the cost of a license differs for both locals and tourists.
- Annual cost – $34.75 for residents and $96.75 for non-residents
- Annual cost for seniors – $9.75
- 5-day license for tourists – $31.75
- 1-day license – $13.75 for locals and $16.75 for tourists
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Ohio
The state of Ohio offers a variety of fishing licenses ranging from 1-day to a lifetime. However, the non-residents get only three options to buy a license for 1 or 3 days or a whole year. A 1-day license costs the same for both the residents and the non-residents.
- 1-day license – $14
- 3-day license for tourists – $25
- 1-year license – $25 for residents and $50.96 for non-residents
- 3-year license – $54.80
- 5-year license – $90.22
- 10-year license – $180.44
- Lifetime license – $468
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in New York
The state of New York is a land of opportunity for fishing enthusiasts with its 7500 lakes and pounds.
The cherry on top is the fishing days, which allow you to fish without any license. Mark the following days in your calendar to enjoy free fishing: Feb 15-16, Jun 27-28, Sept 26, and Nov 11.
- Yearly license – $25 for residents and $50 for non-residents
- Annual license for military disabled and 70+ – $5
- 7-day license – $12 for residents and $28 for non-residents
- 1-day license – $5 for residents and $10 for non-residents
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Illinois
Illinois exempts the fishing license requirement for some of its citizens. This relief is valid for those under 16, seniors aged 65+, disabled, and veterans.
- Annual license – $15 for residents and $31.50 for non-residents
- 1-day license – $5.50 for residents and $10.50 for non-residents
Fishing License Cost at Walmart in Georgia
You can get a saltwater fishing license free of cost for both locals and tourists in Georgia. However, the annual Walmart fishing license costs $10 for residents and $25 for non-residents for freshwater.
Is It Cheaper To Get A Fishing & Hunting License At The Same Time?
Yes, this is a genuine query and the law provides the same in the USA. When a person wants to purchase a Walmart license for fishing as well as hunting, then the costs written above are subject to some changes. The license cost would then change and the person getting it would benefit as the license cost would then decrease for him/her at an overall view of getting them separately from the licensing department.
Many people question that the cost is higher than getting a normal fishing license. What needs to be understood here is that for those who want to hunt down animals and fish at the same time, for those candidates it is beneficial to get both the license at the same time as this means less cost to them. But if the person just wants to fish, then the regular cost that has been listed above would be best.
Renewal Costs and Procedure
It is equally important to get the license renewed at proper intervals of time. In the USA it is a general practice that the license gets expired every 31 December and it becomes incumbent upon the person to get it renewed.
If a person fails to get the license renewed within the specified limit, then the law operates. This means an attraction of a fine as well as several days of custody in jail. It can be a serious offense in the state if the person fishes without the prior permission of the government. The state laws are quite strict in this regard.
The 10 Best Spinning Rods For Bass
For those who get the license for the sake of a day or two or for tourist purposes, they need not get it renewed. They expire within the time specified and then a new license gets issued to an individual resident or non-resident, as the case may be.
Where can I buy a fishing license near me?
Nearly everyone has a Walmart close to where they live which makes buying a fishing license in person relatively easy.
Alternatively, you can also buy fishing licenses online which means that anyone that’s reading this should be able to buy a license without even leaving the house.
Which States Offer Fishing Licenses from Walmart
Currently, the following states will allow you to buy a fishing license from Walmart:
Q: How Much Is A Fishing License At Walmart?
A: The actual cost varies from state to state. However, you can expect to pay between $20 and $50 as a resident.
Q: Does Walmart sell saltwater fishing licenses?
A: If your state requires a saltwater fishing license, then Walmart will sell them. All types of fishing licenses are available in Walmart.
Q: How much is a saltwater fishing license at Walmart?
A: Fishing from the shore is free in most states for residents, but you will still need to get a license. Non-residents can expect to pay between $15 and $30.
Fishing could be the next thing a person can do when it is summer and there is nothing else to do on holidays. A weekend getaway to a nearby lake or a river and plan of a barbeque at night would best complement fishing in the daytime and then savoring the fishes at night.
Not only during weekends, but also on summer vacation can a person get out of the territory of the country to go spend some time in the woods or near an ocean and river to get a different touch of nature. A refreshing experience that makes a person feel completely refreshed is fishing. Fishing in the lap of nature sitting quietly looking at the beauty near you and the waters could make anyone fall in love with nature. It also makes the person feel refreshed.
Bass Fishing: Lures, Gear & Tips For Landing Massive Fish
Yet there can be an altogether different view of fishing fish. Those who want to spend their lifetime earning a living by fishing and then selling it in the stores nearby need it for an altogether professional reason. Issuance of a fishing license and its renewal at proper intervals is necessary for a fisherman by profession then. Walmart ensures that such fisherman gets its license issued as soon as possible.
Walmart has a completely dedicated team for this purpose. It keeps experts and trained officials that allow the person who needs help with the basics of knowing what the documents required to get a license, the documents to be filled in with assistance. It takes care of the newcomers as well as those who are coming to renew their licenses.